Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Consider embedding a librarian into your course to encourage students to connect directly with a librarian and improve research skills. Please contact us for more information.
Why Do I Need An Embedded Librarian?
An embedded librarian will facilitate student research and use of library resources either during the entire course or just when needed.
The librarian can:
- Offer individual attention to students during any stage of their research process
- Serve as a contact regarding library or research questions
- Work with students to quickly resolve library access issues
- Provide specially designed content for the course, including suggested resources, tutorials, search strategies, and research guides
- Collaborate with faculty to find course content such as articles, ebooks, streaming video, and OER
- Please introduce us through a Blackboard announcement and encourage your students to ask us questions.
- Include links to the Library and your course library guide
- Encourage discussion board questions and let students know what an important contribution their questions are to the class learning experience
- Please provide the librarian with as many class assignment details as possible. The librarian will try to anticipate problems and have suggested resources and/or instructional materials available. They will post these materials ahead of the due dates helping remind your students of upcoming assignments
"Excuse Me, but What is a Research Paper?": Embedded Librarian Program and Information Literacy Skills of Community College Students
Kim, D. (2015). “Excuse Me, but What is a Research Paper?”: Embedded Librarian Program and Information Literacy Skills of Community College Students. Community & Junior College Libraries, 21(1-2), 53–70. https://doi.org/10.1080/02763915.2016.1149001
Best Practices for Librarians Embedded in Online Courses
Hoffman, R. (2010). Best Practices for Librarians Embedded in Online Courses. Public Services Quarterly: Embedded Librarianship, 6(2-3), 292–305. https://doi.org/10.1080/15228959.2010.497743
Ten Tips for Implementing a Successful Embedded Librarian Program
Heider, K. (2010). Ten Tips for Implementing a Successful Embedded Librarian Program. Public Services Quarterly: Embedded Librarianship, 6(2-3), 110–121. https://doi.org/10.1080/15228959.2010.498765
Creating Opportunities: Embedded Librarians
Kesselman, W. (2009). Creating Opportunities: Embedded Librarians. Journal of Library Administration, 49(4), 383–400. https://doi.org/10.1080/01930820902832538
Improving Student Assessments of Elections: the Use of Information Literacy and a Course-Embedded Librarian
Booke, W. (2017). Improving student assessments of elections: the use of information literacy and a course-embedded librarian. Learning and Teaching, 10(2), 83–106. https://doi.org/10.3167/latiss.2017.100207
Niagara County Community College. Henrietta G. Lewis Library. 3111 Saunders Settlement Rd., Sanborn, NY 14132 | 716-614-6786